“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
The contribution of volunteers is critical to our clients and our organization’s success.
Phoenix Employment Ministry Volunteer Opportunities
Phoenix Employment Ministry seeks volunteers who want to:
- Give back to their community by helping the less fortunate
- Utilize their skills in helping the sheltered homeless and nearly homeless find work
- Support a faith based non-profit organization
- Be part of a positive, inclusive and fun environment
Volunteer Activities Include
Most of our volunteers work directly with our job-hunters one morning or afternoon a week from 8:30 am until 12:00 pm or from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Others provide specialized assistance on a more limited basis.
Volunteers provide the following services:
- Offering assistance in locating potential employers
- Helping to compose resumes and cover letters;
- Providing transportation to job sites for applying/interviewing;
- Referring to child care, housing, and other types of assistance that may be prerequisite to employment;
- Assisting clients in enrolling for GED and college courses;
- Helping clients find appropriate job-hunting attire;
- Providing general coaching and encouragement;
- Participating in fundraising activities.
- Serving on committees
- Serving as mentors for our Rise Up program
A Typical Day..
The staff, clients, and volunteers meet at 8:30 a.m. and participate in job search activities until 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The day begins with “check-in,” a time for all to share their state of being with the others and to share a daily devotion and prayer. The remainder of the time, volunteers work one-on-one with clients assisting them as they pursue their individual paths to achieving employment.
Clients are required to treat the job search as their full time job; they must arrive on time every day dressed to go to an interview. Volunteers set an example for these necessary habits for obtaining and retaining employment. Volunteers have the opportunity to know the clients’ individual histories and to adapt their assistance to individual needs.
Want to Learn More About Volunteering?
Jan Armstrong serves as the Coordinator of Volunteers. You may contact her through the Phoenix office at (910) 343-8469. For volunteer opportunities in our evening Rise Up program, contact Sheri McGraw at (910) 343-8469.
Volunteers are encouraged to visit the Phoenix Office at 20 N. Fourth Street, Suite 100 to view our operations first hand and see if it offers the type of volunteer work that they seek.